SEO in 2017: Opportunity, Success and Growth
Daniel Foley January 16th 2017 in Marketing 0
SEO in 2017: Opportunity, Success and Growth
For brands to succeed in 2017 they will need to understand how paid search and organic search marketing can work together to successfully build healthy relationships with customers. Even the best brands on the internet will need to update and refresh optimization on their sites and in particular on their mobile sites. As we have noticed during 2016 this is a key area for expansion during the year ahead. As the new year is now upon us, the importance of content marketing is very evident from the build-up of excitement and expectancy. In both the paid search and organic sectors, about 70% realise the importance of producing much more content than they did in 2016. They also realise that content is useless unless it can be readily found and optimized and only when this is accomplished they have reached effective search marketing.
The Key Driver Which Will Open-up Opportunity in 2017 is SearchIt has been proven that approximately 53 percent of traffic to a website is the result of organic search. Also, it is found that about 17 percent is the result of paid search. This shows that a staggering 70 percent of traffic that arrives at a site comes from search engine results pages (SERPs). This again proves the huge importance of search optimization. Even though the primary search is organic, ads are also very important, to the extent that Google has been taking steps which will help increase their prominence on display pages. At the start of 2016 Google took away the ads that appeared along the sides of the search engine results pages and adopted a new look. Nowadays they appear at the very top of the SERP and usually it is four ads that make this slot. This puts the organic search coming underneath the ads. This is not a particularly bad thing as the organic search result will still appear on the first page if clever optimization has been applied.
Google AdWords and Pay Per Click (PPC)There has been some recent discussion around the topic of Pay Per Click playing a much bigger role with local search in the year ahead. The changes may include the introduction of a local search 3-pack which will extend the power and relevance of Pay Per Click. Since customers are now much more interested in a great variety of types of content it is really important to deliver brands on many different devices, to include mobile devices and across multiple channels.
The Importance of SEO and Micro MomentsIn the past number of years’ customers would have to carry out their internet shopping either at home or at work. Because of this, marketers had the ability to identify a clear path people would follow to reach their purchase. Those days are gone and as we head into 2017 it is more apparent than ever that every device is used nowadays to secure those purchases. The journey has been split into a number of moments which Google has named ‘micro-moments’. These moments start with the ‘I want to know moment’, quickly followed by the ‘I want to go moment’, then the ‘I want to buy moment’ and finished with the ‘I want to do moment’. It is just an indicator of how promptly goods may be purchased from the moment of realization to the actual purchase. The search engine results pages have changed radically so that they can reflect the micro-moments. Google now recognises micro-moments much better and has a better understanding of the intent of a query and also the type of content that will best match what the user needs.
Videos and Images to Enhance SEOOn search engine results pages some queries are now being answered with additional images and in some cases videos included. Depending on the query, it may also be answered using local business listings or rich graphic displays. If brands are going to efficiently optimize for this new modern buyer, they will need to understand the intent of the customers’ query. It is only in this way that brands will be correctly optimized using the different types of content that meets the needs of consumers. On this current customer journey, local information, content and mobile have all come together to give a much more highly detailed information package than ever before. Brands must be prepared to meet the needs of this modern customer at all levels to ensure profitable business.
The Benefits of Optimizing Content During Content CreationIt is predicted that between 2016 and 2019 content marketing will increase by 200 percent. The experts claim that it will be a $300 billion industry by 2019. However, unless content can be found by the correct audience these figures are useless. Content must be fully search-engine-friendly and optimized across the modern mobile infrastructure to make it work. The major search engines are very dedicated to delivering the best and most relevant content to users. Brands that deliver a solid content marketing strategy that optimize for high visibility with the search engines will be rewarded with a great increase in search performance in the form of traffic and revenue. The greatest challenge in the coming years will be optimizing content while the content is actually being created and then mirroring this across content management systems and large websites. The answer will be in creating content that is targeted at the correct audience and which is compelling, insightful and driven with strong and correct keywords.
Seven Key Steps to Optimize Content in 2017 and Beyond
- Before creating content be sure to understand the audience: It is essential to completely understand the product or topic for which content needs to be written. Only as a result of this will strong content emerge which search engines recognise.
- Check the competition: It is vital to understand how competitors market themselves. Lessons can be learned and opportunities found by just taking these steps. Brands that don’t take this step are making a big mistake and loosing traffic and revenue to their competitors.
- All stages of the buying circle: How content will convert at the different stages of a buyers journey allows mapping and optimizing content at all stages of the buying cycle. Previously hidden opportunities will be revealed which will certainly result in a huge increase in revenue.
- Content creators armed with the essential tools: It is more important than ever that content creators have the ability to create valuable and powerful content that search engines can convert. Content Management System (CMS) is now key to SEO and the content marketing optimization procedure. The SEO manager from Adobe shared some incredible statistics at a recent summit. He explained that by switching to an SEO-friendly CMS had dramatic effects on traffic to the site. Within a year they saw an increase of 307 percent in organic traffic and a 287 percent increase in first page rankings.
- Content should be optimized to outsmart the competitors content: There is more and more content appearing on the market. As a result, only the best content will stand out. Since content is the key to capturing attention it is imperative to have creative and bold content.
- Distribution of content: This area is growing very fast where content is being shared on social media. When content is appreciated, it is often shared on social platforms. This helps every area of the brand including PR. A great example is a customer first finding a site by clicking on an AdWord ad. Later, this same customer will return by clicking over from a social media platform. The next day will come back via an email campaign and later in the day will return again directly and make a purchase.
- Create metrics to measure the value of effort: Each piece of content will serve a different purpose so it is extremely important to be able to measure the value of everything. By defining and measuring, a picture may be drawn to show how content is interacting with the audience. By setting goals such as traffic, revenue and conversion, a brands content optimization process will be very effective and beneficial.
Prepare for SEO Opportunities in 2017
One thing that is guaranteed in the SEO world is that search results never stop evolving. Change is the constant in this world. Since search engine algorithms are forever being enhanced to give better results, the need for quality content must be supplied in tandem. If a company takes the foot off the pedal and ignores these changing trends, then it will definitely fall behind and end up in the unchartered depths of nowhere rank land. The coming year will be one where a need for new ways to think about and arrange keywords will be essential. As the SEO landscape will shift again this year just as it has been doing since its birth, it will bring new, exciting and much more defined ways of looking at and conducting content writing.
There are 0 comments on this article.