Progressive Web Apps and Who Should Be Using Them
- Safe – Via HTTPS to avoid any tampering of the content.
- Progressive – It works for every user, no matter which browser is chosen because they are built with progressive enhancement.
- Responsive – They fit any device: mobile, desktop, tablet, or whatever comes next.
- Connectivity-independent – They do not need to be connected and will work fine even on a weak network.
- App-like – They are built from the app model.
- Fresh – They are constantly updated.
- Discoverable – They are identifiable as “applications”. This is due to service worker registration scope and W3C for allowing the search engines to find them.
- Re-engageable – It makes re-engagement easy through various features such as push notifications.
- Installable – It allows users to save whichever apps they find that they use the most on their desktops. This saves greatly the strife of visiting an app store and going through all the steps.
- Linkable – They are easy to share via URL and they don’t require complex installation.
Basically, progressive web apps are an enhancement to the existing web technology so they do not need separate distribution and they are the next big thing for the mobile web.
Who Should be Using Progressive Web Apps?
A progressive web app takes advantage of all the latest technology developments which combine the best of the web and mobile apps. Recent advancements in the browser has enabled web developers to allow users install these web apps on their home screen, work offline and receive push notifications. Progressive web apps take into account the much larger web ecosystem with it comes to its plugins and community. So, everybody can use progressive web apps, they are so much easier than app store apps. For instance, there are two ways for a user to find an app; the first option is to find the app in the app store, then download it, next install it and finally open it. The second way is very easy, when a user finds a progressive web app they can just start using it immediately, eliminating all the unnecessary downloading, installation and opening stages.
A Short Summary of Progressive Web Apps
A progressive web app is fundamentally a mobile website that can behave and perform just like an app and just as fast. Speed and efficiency are paramount in this industry where people expect results while they are on the way to or from work on the train or even jogging in the park. They are extremely suitable for busy people on the go who need to gather information quickly and effectively.