After delivering SEO proposals for more than 15 years. I have learnt many things. For those of you out there embarking on your own client acquisition mission be it as a freelance SEO consultant or agency here is the of 6 unsolicited tips:
- NEVER give a proposal away before giving an indication of price – why waste time creating a proposal unless you have a clear understanding of budget? If you are out of budget any time you invest in a proposal will be lost.
- ALWAYS get access to search console and do a full spectrum analysis of query performance over time (non brand) – look at query coverage, impression performance and look at how their keywords have moved over time.
- ALWAYS give a proposal where pricing is clear.
- ALWAYS be honest. Don’t be a have a go hero to try and win new business. I found the more frank I was with a search console assessments with the client, the more likely they were to come back to me.
- ALWAYS ask about their current SEO efforts and anyone they have worked with – you need to remember there is “bad business” out there – clients who will want everything for nothing.
- BE PREPARED – your proposals are likely to be shared with other consultants. I’ve been given proposals sent to potential clients by other agencies and clients.